in Sage January 5, 2018
Hi everyone and welcome to another of our specialist Sage Insights articles, our series of videos and user guides that we produce to help enhance your Sage experience. This week's user guide will focus on the processes users can use to process supplier payments.
There are essentially 2 ways of processing supplier payments:
- Ad-hoc selection of invoices to be paid (Used for a single supplier only);
- Payment of “suggested” invoices based on due dates of purchase invoices (Used for multiple or single suppliers).
Due to the amount that can be written about each method we have decided to split our explanation of each process into two parts. This article will focus on the use of "Ad-hoc selection of invoices to be paid" as a method of processing supplier whilst the Payment of “suggested” invoices based on due dates of purchase invoices will be covered in a separate article to be published next Monday.
As a general rule for both methods, it should be noted that remittances advice can only ever be reprinted for the last payment made to a supplier (and in some instances, explained further below, not at all).
Also, before making supplier payments you should ensure:
- All Pending transactions have been updated.
- All payments and credits have been allocated.
Ad-hoc selection of invoices to be paid.
1. Go to Purchase Ledger > Period End Routines > Payment Processing
2. Run Delete Suggested Payments
3. Run Amend Suggested Payments.
- Select the supplier you wish to pay in the A/C Ref field.
- You will be displayed with a list of outstanding invoices of that supplier.
- For those that you wish to pay ‘triple-click’ the box in the Payment column. For invoices that you only wish to part-pay, enter the amount you wish to pay in the Payment column and for invoices that you do not yet wish to pay, leave the column as zero.
- Once you have selected all invoices to be paid, press Pay Now.
4. The Generate Payments screen will be displayed.
- Enter the date of the payment in the Remittance Date and Allocation Date fields (note it is important to enter payment date in both these fields).
- If paying by cheque, enter the cheque number.
- Enter any required reference in the “Second ref” field.
- Select which Cash Book account you are making the payment from.
- Press OK.
- The remittance advice (and cheque, if relevant) will be printed.
- Your cash book account and supplier account will be updated with the payment. The payment will automatically be allocated to the selected invoices.
- If using E-Banking, your e-banking screen will appear (from which you will save the CSV file for import to your e-banking software).
We hope you have found this article useful in enhancing your Sage expertise and please check back for more Sage Insight user guides and videos every Monday on our website. The second part of this user guide will be up next Monday for those eager to pay multiple suppliers at once. All our articles are created based on real queries and support requests that we have received from our clients and will cover many different versions of Sage including Sage 200, Sage 50, Sage Payroll and Sage Manufacturing.