in Sage November 20, 2017
Hi everyone and welcome to another of our specialist Sage Insights articles, our series of videos and user guides designed to enhance your Sage user experience. This week's user guide will outline how to create a basic role with Sage Administrator.
Roles in Sage products are used to manage the functions that a group of users have access to within the software. This allows companies to limit access to certain Sage functions based on a users specific job role. Through the use of roles, companies can prevent any wrongdoings or misentries that might have otherwise taken place if a user had access to features that they are not trained to use. The Video below is a step by step guide on how to create a job role, assign users to it and assign permissions to users who are part of the role. For those who are hearing impaired, I will also include a written step by step guide that can be read alongside the video.
Creating Roles in Sage Administrator
- In Sage Administrator click on the Roles icon in the menu pane on the left-hand side.
- This brings up the Role screen which details all currently created roles within the system. To add a new role right click underneath the last role and select Add New Role.
- Enter the name for your chosen role and then select OK.
- The Next window allows you to amend settings for this role within the General tab but for this example I shall leave it blank. The Users tab allows you to add any Sage member within the system to that role. Each user can have multiple roles within Sage. Once the desired users have been assigned click Apply and then OK to finish creating the role.
- Our next step is to assign permissions to that role to allow the users to access the functions to do their job. Right-click on the newly created role and then select Features.
- For the Authorise Features for Role screen, you can assign permissions for the role by clicking the box to the left of each feature. By using this method you can assign permissions for the user to have access to entire modules within Sage as well as individual functions. To access individual functions select the plus icon beside the module to expand it and then navigate to the individual function you wish to the role to have access too. For this videos example, I have decided my Sales Role should have complete access to the Sales Ledger and Sales Order Processing modules alongside individual access to the Purchase Order List, View Purchase Order and View Purchase Order for Stock Item functions within Purchase Order Processing meaning that can see the Purchase Orders but cannot add any onto the system. This allows us to create highly customisable job roles which can be as dynamic and flexible as you choose.
- To apply your chosen permissions to the job role select Apply and then click OK to save this permission. This automatically assigns the chosen permissions to each user that has been allocated to the role.