in SolidWorks October 16, 2018
Before you download this new version of SOLIDWORKS it should be noted that there are several new/updated hardware requirements that should be considered (for 2019) before installing, these include;
- Operating System – Windows 10 64bit or Windows 7 64 bit
- Windows 8.1 is no longer supported
- Processor – Clock speed of 3.3GHz or higher
- RAM – 16Gb
- Up from 8Gb in 2018
- EEC RAM is now recommended
- Graphics Card – Please check your Graphics Card and Driver version at the below link.
- Nvidia Quadro cards recommended
- Intel (onboard) graphics highly not recommended
- If using SOLIDWORKS Visualize
- It is recommended you have at least 4Gb VRAM
- NVidia Fermi Cards are no longer supported (e.g. Quadro 400, 6000, etc)
- Nvidia Quadro cards highly recommended
- SSD drives recommended.
- Microsoft Office – Office 2013, Office 2016
- 2010 no longer supported
- If using server products
- Windows Server 2012 R2 or 2016
- SQL 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017
New for SOLIDWORKS 2019 is the option to download the media over two separate Zip files which could be useful for those who may have a slow internet connection, as you can split the download in two rather than potentially having to leave your computer on overnight for one large download. This can be done by selecting the two new options highlighted in the image below which is accessible from the SOLIDWORKS download page once you have signed into your customer portal account.
- You can still download the complete file set using the Installation Manager in the same way you have been doing so over the past few years. This would still be our recommended method of obtaining a complete file set, especially that this method has an improvement which can speed up the download by 2x compared to 2018 if your internet connection is fast enough.
a) If your organisation is installing on a small number of machines you can share the download complete above by copying the full download which will be just shy of 14Gb for 2019 SP0 via USB or by transferring over a server.
b) If your organisation is installing on a large number of machines the option to create an "Administrative Image" is still available which means that you only need to download the software once and can have all users install via an Admin Image where the Admin Image will determine the setting that will be applied to all machines.
- If the automatic download method in option 2 above does not work, there is the option to perform a manual download, which will take you to a SOLIDWORKS website for you to manually download all the different folder required for an installation to take place. This should only be performed if all other download options have failed due to it being a lengthy process.
- The option to install via a media kit (DVD) is still possible however, with the SOLIDWORKS 2020 release, the intention is to limit media kit shipments to customers requests only. This is primarily due to the fact that most customers now download the installation files using one of the previously discussed methods.
If you have any difficulties downloading or installing SOLIDWORKS please feel free to give us a call on 01324 550 760, send an email to SOLIDWORKS.Support@Tms-Scotland.com or create a support ticket via our Customer Portal.